Sunday, December 19

Finding Deals at Groupon?

The latest thing being discussed at the place I work is Groupon. Apparently, until recently, they did not have deals available where I live.

The idea seems to be that they will get a price deal for a quantity purchase and then offer that quantity deal to registered Groupon subscribers. If you are planning to buy certain goods it certainly couldn't hurt to sign up and see if they offer what you want for a better price than you find elsewhere.

Is it worth giving it a try? I don't know yet. But, given that I'm not afraid of letting one more company have my email address I just signed up. Since the idea seems to be growing fast I'm guessing we'll see more companies trying this idea.

If you have experience with Groupon please leave a comment or review...

Update: I've bought my first groupon deal. For $20 I have $40 of in-store credit at a local brew at home shop.

Update: The following blurb about Groupon is from CNBC...

Groupon, a three-year-old online local advertising company, said Thursday it raised $500 million as part of an effort to generate $950 million in financing. It disclosed the funding in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The online discount coupon company, which specializes in local advertising, raised the funds after reports last month that it was in talks to sell itself to Google for up to $6 billion, in what would have been the web advertising giant's biggest ever acquisition.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Groupon in my area does not really have a lot of coupons of interest to me. I think they must just be starting out. I am in CT

Bill Swan said...

Now here's one that I haven't tried yet. I've heard of Groupon, but with all the sites coming and going I'm not sure if (like PeaPod in the 90s) this will stick around or be corrupted by the corporate world.

John said...

Groupon is pretty cool, but many times I don't find deals that appeal to me in our area. If we're traveling, I might take a look at it, but our city is void of deals! More deals Groupon! I believe you can do it! :D

Jade J. said...

I think Groupon have made great progress from the time they have started because now they offer probably ten times more coupons among which I think every person can find something interesting for himself.

Dave said...

I used to be really into priceline, but Groupon changed all that. Watch out, its addictive.

Peter said...

I don't use Groupon much but my father sometimes calls me up to tell me about the deals he finds on there. He gets a lot of things like, buy a $20 giftcard for $10 and stuff like that. I think the key is to only look for or get things that you would want to use anyway.

Anonymous said...

I love groupon by I try to only buy from places near me so it is convenient to use them. I also research the company beforehand as some deals are good ad others require you to invest a decent del more in order to take advantage f the groupon (ie you end up having having to spen more money once you get to the groupon destination.

Thomas Watson said...

Groupon needs to lock down their selection process and/or pair with a rating site to weed out bad retailers.

eccentriclady said...

They recently had a couple of nice things... a sweater I could buy for my boyfriend who really needed one, a case for my ipad cheaper than I could find anywhere, and 50 euro's worth to shop in an online sexshop - don't start laughing, we could use it because bf needs a special condom size, so we have to buy durex instead of the free ones I can get from my health insurance. Such a groupon can be very nice then.