Wednesday, February 4

Earnings Review: Infolinks

Infolinks: Thumbs UpSearching for ways to earn a little income from your blog? Well, I believe I've found a way to earn revenues without violating your editorial standards. For example, I don't know about you, but I've decided I won't do any type of paid posting or paid review junk.

The search for respectable revenue hasn't been easy. For example, here is what happened when I tried AdBrite.

Are you wondering why I'm not using Adsense? I have. However, to be honest, keywords related to frugality don't seem to earn much revenue. So, ever the search for income. I even went so far as to add a tip jar to accept donations in the event that anyone felt they had received something worthwhile.

Guess what, readers interested in frugality are cheap! I guess that should be no surprise. Would you believe I have never once received a single tip or donation? It makes sense. People often find me when they need to figure out how to live in their car or come up with extremely frugal meal plans. I just have to try not to take it personally.

Sometimes I'll write about affiliate programs. My last post about UPromise is an affiliate program post -- as noted at the end. It's a lot cleaner than a paid for review as I can say anything I want. Generally, I choose something that has caught my eye and seems like it might genuinely be interesting to my readers. This type of post has netted me maybe $5-10 here and there. Pitiful -- and I have to worry about driving away my visitors.

What works? Infolinks seems to. They are the folks that are doing the annoying in-line text links on my posts. As of January 31st I've earned enough to receive my first payout. I think they work better than Adsense, for me, because they can pick and choose which terms to highlight.

The down side? Their system often doesn't have any useful inventory and they show the same ridiculous worthless ads over and over again. You know, the ones that say "find the best sites about topic here." Yeah, I'm sure clever readers everwhere are just itching to be sent to a third rate pay per click search engine. Keep up the good work folks.

Oh, yes, the other down side is that with the economy tanking fast, I don't know if they'll have any advertising inventory at all soon. Maybe I'll have to start writing about things like credit cards, low interest rates, mortgages and divorce lawyers?

P.S. The rotating Amazon books item on the sidebar has been a complete waste of time as well. Maybe I should throw in some Harry Potter titles? It's likely I'll have taken it down by the time you read this.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. When people can donate they do. The economy is horrible.

admin said...

Very interesting - thanks for the great info. I've just created my own blog - http://blog.refermehappy.com. I haven't put any advertising up. I was thinking of using adsense but I might give infolinks a go instead. You're right - they are annoying but you should be able to make money from your site if you are putting up useful information. Cheers, Matt.

Gayle said...

Thanks for the heads up on Infolinks. I'm looking at them now.

Robbie said...

love your blog. Just a heads up, I didn't even SEE your tip jar. You might want to point it out more directly, or mention it more frequently.

best wishes,
Robbie

Frugal Guy said...

Thanks Robbie.

I already feel like I have my hand out just having a tip jar... I don't think I can flog it much more than I am...

;)

Anonymous said...

Hey am old enough to have seen it all. dont worry it will all come back its amazing how history repeats itself. And very true, " what goes around really does come around." chin up. stiff upper lip and all that. cheers jp

chris said...

Have you ever tried chitika you seem to get search traffic.The problem with info links it the 1 ct per click ads seem like you will never get paid running those.

Frugal Guy said...

Chris,

Actually, I am trying Chitiki for search visitors. It's not making me rich either... but I think it is performing better then Infolinks most of the time.

Indianews said...

I was going through your post, you have got an amazing skill of writing and I have never seen a post as good as yours on earning on internet. I have tried infokinks and right now you would be amazed I use it on my website http://thinkahead.net.in and I don't use any other advertising system.

And at last why don't you optimize your blogspot, your content can easily receive more visitors than what you are receiving right now.

Indianews said...

I meant "infolinks" not infokinks.