Friday, August 29

Fighting Debt: Turning The Corner

Positive Progress!The battle against debt is finally starting to happen. It had been months and months since I became fully employed and the sheer inertia of mandatory and deferred expenses kept me from doing anything that felt like forward progress.

Now, finally, progress. Progress is fantastic. It's motivating. With respect to my last post, the logjam is finally broken!

The result of all this monumental progress?

My credit card balance has come down a tiny amount. Boo. Hiss. My debts are still a daunting pile of obligations. However, compared to facing ruin, whittling away small amounts of debt here and there feels as good as a vacation. Besides, even if I was forced to maintain financial stasis I have an ace in the hole. Generally, I always like to have a zinger, an advantage, an ace that I can pull out of my pocket.

My car should last a lot longer than my car payments are going to last. The piggy bank will get fat much faster when that finally happens.

I can hardly wait. Too bad my last payment is still so far away...

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I paid off my car but, I am coming into problems of repairs and ect..One thing people do to extend the life of cars is continue to add antifreeze. If you have any ideas let me know please. Take care and good luck. I hope things get better for everyone. Have a great week. Annette

MsFit said...

Hi!
Just ran into your blog.
I'm another frugal person.
OH by the way where did you get the cool paypal donate banner with the jar and the coffee cup?
I would love to do that to my blog!

Frugal Guy said...

Hey Annette, MsFit, thanks for the notes.

MsFit, I usually do a google image search to find potential graphics.

Anonymous said...

I've been fighting my debt for quite some time now, but I am also finally able to see light at the end of the tunnel.

One site I'd recommend is Martin Lewis' moneysavingexpert site. It is very UK-oriented, but there are some fantastic forums on there with great hints and tips.

Good luck with your journey.

Frugal Guy said...

Anonymous, I don't go much for spam on this blog.

Excerpt from spammy comment...
"A general consumption strike is behind the economic collapse and now that it is coming, culturejammers will use the opportunity to usher in a new world."

Also, the idea that a consumption strike is behind the economic issues is sheer lunacy, sorry.

Frugal Guy said...

I should note, there are many different anonymous users, so don't take the last comment personally unless you were spamming my blog... ;)

Laura said...

Hello,
I just came across your site and love it! It's great to find like minded frugal people! I'll stop by and visit often!
Feel free to drop by my site as well.
Laura

Jessie said...

It is true that gaining a respectable status is not that easy for all. And once you get it try to keep it with you forever. There is nothing better than leading a respectable life free from debt.