Sunday, January 20

It's Winter, Cook More Rice!

Tada - Rice Cooker and HumidifierRecently, I noticed an unexpected bonus while using my #2 kitchen appliance.

As everyone knows, winter is a time that generally involves dryness. Dry air. Dry skin. Dry lips. Dry humor. See, it's dryness all around. Heck, kitchen appliance #1 is even a bread dryer.

So, you guessed it, the rice cooker does double duty as a steam generator. While it's cooking rice you'll see a thin stream of steam drifting out... basically until all the excess water has been used up.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

9 comments:

Brooke (Dollar Frugal) said...

Nice...a humidifier and a food cooker! Great point!

Corrin said...

a multi-tasking kitchen appliance. genius.

Anonymous said...

go one better with a crockpot/slow cooker.....just place a spoon at the edge of the lid and you can have hours of humidity and still have enough heat to cook that meal. with a rice cooker/steamer you only get about 20 minutes while cooking rice (unless of course you just fill the thing with water and boil it off.

Anonymous said...

Rice is not only cheap but, it can prevent diabetis. Some Asian people eat only it every day and have lower rates of disease. Have a good week. Annette

Miss Thrifty said...

Great tip! My crock pot is definitely my number one appliance, though. What kind of rice cooker do you have? I usually just do mine the old-fashioned way on the stove top.

Frugal Guy said...

Thanks for all the comments!

Miss Thrifty, it's a store branded model, but it resembles the picture in the post.

It's fancy, cooks for 50 minutes or so, then has a "keep hot" feature where it will wait for up to 90 minutes keeping the rice ready to go.

It's great for cooking up a batch well before dinner time, then serving it hot -- as it just sits there waiting until you are ready.

There is always plenty left over too! ;)

Heather said...

Hmmmmm, I must keep that in mind. Especially since I just stumbled upon a 20 lb sack of rice for only $4.00 at a scratch and dent store! Anyone have any good rice recipes? My family is getting pretty sick of rice pudding!

Tracey said...

Great ideas...thanks as always for sharing them. I wouldn't have thought of this.

Tracey

Anonymous said...

I love my rice cooker. It also steams veggies while it cooks the rice. It saves me time, dirty dishes, water, and makes edible rice (an impossibility when I try to do it myself). If I could marry an appliance it would be my rice cooker.