Tuesday, December 4

Cheap and Lazy Snack

Bowl of rice...Based on my previous post, about being a new father, I'm sure it is no surprise that I find myself with less time and energy than I am used to.

Anyway, here's the scoop.

Grab a bowl of left over rice. Hopefully, if you cook up lots of rice at a time like a good frugal person would, you'll have one sitting in the fridge much of the time.

Jazz it up a small amount with some BBQ sauce. It's good cold too... so don't waste any time heating it up!

If you find something faster and cheaper that requires less work, please let me know! :)

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

9 comments:

Mrs. Micah said...

My husband would totally do that. He loves BBQ sauce. That's about as simple as they come. Except eating it without the sauce.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Mac and cheese is a good cheap meal too for dinner. Thanks, Annette Discount stores sell it for 25 cents a box.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I used to boil up a pot of rice with some chicken boullion and a few onion flakes almost every night when we were doing homework (in the 60's). Mom just didn't bring in a lot of junk foods and that "homemade rice",as we called it, was great comfort food! To this very day, rice is one of my favorite foods!

vin said...

maybe not as quick, but a helluva lot better is: brown rice, plain yogurt, frozen fruit and honey.

Frugal Guy said...

Thanks for the notes folks.

Vin, it sounds like you are changing the nature of the game, that's a desert snack! ;)

Anonymous said...

vin, NOTHING was better than our homemade rice. I only use brown rice now, but at the time, our little rice dish was lots better than the junk food our friends were eating. Hmmph!

lencialoo said...

As a child from a very large family we used to eat rice with raisins and added milk and cinnamon sugar. I didnt care much for the raisins so as an adult I just fix rice (usually brown) with milk and cinnamon sugar...can even put in a little margarine if you want to. I know many people esp. singles who just have a bowl of cereal for dinner too.

Anonymous said...

My body needs more protein so I like adding scrambled egg to rice.

Anonymous said...

Another version that is great is adding spaghetti sauce to rice. Almost has the flavor of a spanish rice.