Sunday, November 25

Nov 2007 MyPoints Update

Big Bucks, No Whammies!Well, as you can see, I haven't been applying myself very dilligently. It's a busy time right now and, frankly, I don't have the time to view and respond to all of the incoming email messages. So, slow progress on the points. Oh well.

For the rare person that hasn't heard of mypoints...

MyPoints is a rewards program (sign up) that lets you earn points in various ways. Earned points can be redeemed for gift cards from many brand name retailers. It is quite easy to earn points, even without spending any money, but of course it certainly helps if you do already buy things online.

Most people, unlike a Frugal Grinch like me, are probably buying lots of items online during the holiday season, and could be getting points for nearly everything they buy!

For the Grinchly, MyPoints will send you email messages outlining various offers and opportunities. For viewing the email and clicking through to the offer you will receive points -- no spending required. I've been doing this half-heartedly for approximately three months and you can see my "bankroll" pictured above...

EDIT: I should note that if you do already make purchases online then you'll want to consider MyPoints. You can earn points by finding your products via their affiliated retailers while earning any points that your credit card may already be providing. It's a way to double dip, assuming you find the right products at competitive prices.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great. Another way to get free gifts is to use the coupons from the drug stores to transfer medicatiions to thier drug store for a gift card. If some people call around some will honor any stores coupons.You can get anything with them but,not lottery tickets, alchohol or tobaco products. Good luck to all!! Annette

Anonymous said...

I have done my points for several years and it is a great and easy way to earn some gift cards for doing practically nothing. I get e-mail, click for the link, then close the linked page once it has loaded. This year I have earned $50 in gift cards. I check my e-mail every day any ways, might as well earn something.

Anonymous said...

MYPOINTS sucks. They are assholes. We had a common computer in our building and they have just decided to revoke all the accounts associated with that computer. That is 12 people that they have screwed. All chasing their little advertising carrots for months to get no reward in the end. Was there some major computer glitch in California? Were their profit margins not high enough? They are evil greedy corporate bastards and need to be castrated.

ll said...

Mypoints waited until I had almost 8000 points. I was saving for a gift card for my son's birthday in March. Today they have closed my account for no apparent reason! They let me order through them and waste hours looking through their emails, all for nothing! They get paid for what you did through them and then they dump you so they don't have to pay! They are a SCAM. DON'T waste you time like I did. I can't even email them to find out why they closed my account. I can't find a address or phone number to call or write. I would like to file a complaint against them with the BBB. Anyone know where they are located?

Kill All Spammers said...

The company that owns mypoints (UAL) has been on te edge of bankruptcy since 2001, so they are very aggressive about screwing over the users.

Generally I find that almost every big point purchase I make, they have "technical issues" where the points are not credited. Then when you get the points finally credited they tack a 30 hold on the points. Then when you redeem the points, the have another 30 day hold before they send you the gift card.

Frugal Guy said...

While I don't know much about them I have to admit I've not bothered to earn any points in a very long time...