Friday, September 28

Fast Simple Balanced Meal

Stagg 4 bean vegetable chiliToday's meal idea is brought to you by the words "tired" and "lazy". Hey, it's Friday night, I don't want to spend any significant time cooking tonight. Besides, we had a nice roast with baked potatoes just a few days ago.

As you can see, the main time saver was the 4 bean chili. Cook up some tricolor pasta, dump in the chili and toss in some shredded leftover meat. Bam, ten minutes for the pasta to cook, dump, mix, serve. Done.

There you go, a cheap and fast meal with protein, vegetables and fiber which is even low in fat. Who says frugal has to be inconvenient? Yeah, okay, I know the can of chili might have been a cheat job. I'm okay with that.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea. They have lots of that stuff at dollar stores too!!! Have a good weekend. Annette

persephone said...

Sounds yummy, we might just have to try that this week!!!!

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Annette, Persephone, thanks for the comments!

If you don't like spicy foods, you could drop it down a notch and get someting like "Chili Style" beans instead. I wouldn't feel as good about the health factor in that case though.

Anonymous said...

I was told hot salsa, sauces and chilli peppers purify the blood plus kill the cold viruses. I eat that when I am ill and it knocks out a cold much faster than when I did not. Thanks and have a nice week!! Annette

Anonymous said...

Beans and chili are perfect foods...cheap, tasty, and loads of fiber. But most, almost all, have enough salt in the label's miniscule 'portions', to kill a goat and pickle him for eternity. I know beans can be cooked from the dry state, but I'd love to find a brand and a store chain that sells chili or at least beans that are nearly salt-free. Signed...Lucky.

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Annette, Lucky, thanks for the notes.

By the way, though salt can be an issue for some, perhaps many, there are also plenty of "lucky" people that generally don't have to worry about it. ;)

However, it sounds like a good idea to add a note about the salt content, so that people can decide for themselves based on their own health needs.

Anonymous said...

Ya, you are right too much sodium can cause high blood pressure and cancer. Oh, for a free publishing kit and consultation you may want to call 1-888-795-4274. Have a good rest of the week. Annette

George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
fast weight loss said...

This canned stuff is probably high in sodium but a good "fast meal" alternative to say, Hot Pockets or something.

Frugal Guy said...

Hey, thanks for the comments everyone!

While I have my own unique take on all the "bad for you" claims out there, I certainly understand that there are a variety of views.

My view is that if you eat good nutrition, lots of healthy nutrients, [b]and[/b] you exercise, that your body will deal with fats, salts and sugars in a reasonable way.

Unfortunately, we often get way too many calories, way too many refined carbohydrates, a lack of vegetables and fiber, and a generally sedentary lifestyle not to mention not getting the needed omega-3 fatty acids.

I find that to be a recipe for disaster more so than salt or fat content itself... but, as I said, that is my personal take and I'm certainly willing to respect that other people will feel differently.

It's a complex subject... oh, also, people with existing health issues obviously have a very different outlook on food choices as well. They don't get to play by the same rules.