Wednesday, September 5

Exercising At Home

Staying FitOh oh. Now that I've moved further out of the city it is no longer that convenient to drive downtown to visit the gym. I'm not always willing to drive half an hour each way.

I've been fighting this conclusion, perhaps in denial, for a couple of weeks now.

However, all is not lost. It isn't that hard to find bodyweight exercises that can be done at home. Also, while overheating can be an issue - even with a fan, the cooler fall season is approaching.

Here are some ideas:

Stair Climbing
They didn't invent the stair climber machine for nothing. This is great exercise and nothing is stopping you from walking up and down your stairs, at a reasonable pace and carefully, until you get winded or tire out.

Squats or Knee Bends
You'll want to practice "good form" while doing these. This means that it would be a good idea not to round the back. Since I throw a barbell on my shoulders when I squat at the gym, it will be important for me not to adopt a sloppy movement pattern. If simple squats are too easy then progress to one legged squats, known as pistols.

Push Ups
Everybody knows what pushups are. Do them from your toes if you are able to, if not, you can do them using your knees as the pivot point.

Shoulder Raises
I'm not sure if there is an official name for this, but if you hold your arms straight out to the sides and then raise them overhead, you'll eventually notice your shoulders and/or your traps getting sore. Congratulations, that's known as exercise.

Pull Ups
If you are fairly good shape you may be able to do pullups. There are devices that can be attached in door frames that will let you pull yourself up. However, if you are too tall it might be difficult to get a good range of motion with this exercise. Be aware, it can be very difficult for a sendentary person to achieve even one pullup, so make sure you can do one before you purchase anything.

Sit Ups
Situps, or perhaps crunches, are a well know way to work on your ab muscles. Don't even imagine that you can spot reduce by doing ab work as you can't. However, this doesn't mean you should neglect this muscle group.

Bodyweight Rows
Again, I'm not certain what to call this, but if you lie on your back you can reach up and grab your pullup bar. In reality, you'll want the bar a couple inches out of reach if you are lying down. Anyway, this move is the opposite of a pushup and will help work your back.

Bridges
A bridge is when you brace your core and lift your stomach or back off the floor using your head and feet. Here is a definition on Wikipedia. This is less familiar to most people so I'll just suggest you go look it up and view online examples before trying to do them.

Running, Walking, Hiking
Depending on where you live, and your fitness level, it might be appropriate to get outdoors and move around. Heck, in the winter you can add ice scraping and shoveling to your exercise routine.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. These exercises are available to everyone at very low cost. Don't let lack of a gym membership, or the convenience of a gym, get between you and an appropriate level of fitness. Remember, health is job one, don't neglect it.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks as diabetis is a problem in my family. I have a high chance of getting it. Swimming I was told is good too and low impact. Have a great week. From Annette

Mrs. Micah said...

For those into exercise videos, my local library carries them. So before buying one to exercise at home, give the library a shot. They'd either be with the other vids/dvds or in the 613.7 section. Unless it's ballet, which is in the 792 section and sports are in 796. If it's not Dewey, can't help with that.

Good post, Frugal Guy!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

very timely-I've promised myself lately to exercise more. I'm trying to walk Buddy to nursery school in the mornings (weather permitting) and as Mrs. Micah suggested, I've been taking out exercise videos from the library.

Of course they only help if you actually DO the routines on them :)

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Annette, if diabetes runs in the family, then you should both get exercise and watch your intake of refined carbs. I'm sure you know this already... ;)

Hi Mrs Micah, that's a great idea. I'm a big library fan as well - thanks for the note!

Hi Jenn, isn't that always the way it works? The ideas and the knowledge come a lot easier than the actual doing? Good point.

rock star said...

You said -
Situps, or perhaps crunches, are a well know way to work on your ab muscles. Don't even imagine that you can spot reduce by doing ab work as you can't. However, this doesn't mean you should neglect this muscle group.

(I said) I think that situps are themost painful way to exercise i've done it for 2 day and its hurting my neck my AB's are not any better body very sore though.
I would go for the AB machines as it reduces chances of getting very bad neck, it's not completely frugal but its not worht getting a bad neck!