Monday, August 27

Peanut Butter Tubs

Tub O Peanut ButterI'm sure it isn't a new idea, but today, while meandering around the kitchen trying to figure out what to snack on, I realized that our tub of peanut butter was just about done. Time to open up the new one.


Ding. Ding. Ding. Frugality alert!

These things are huge, tightly sealed, and have a large enough opening to reach your hand into.

Obviously, instead of recycling them, I need to use them as stackable dry goods storage containers. Alternately, if my girlfriend won't let me use them in the kitchen, they are great for organizing miscellaneous items on the workbench. All I'll need to do is wash them well, peel the label, and I'm set.

I know they won't last forever, but I can always recycle an old one when a replacement is available.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. I like to re-use old containers until they need to be recyled. Shoe boxes are great too!! You can make all kinds of things with recylables too. One person made a neat rug with grocery bags. The odd thing is one could not tell. Have a great week. Annette

Frugal Guy said...

Annette, that rug idea sounds awesome!

Valerie J. said...

They are great for Legos too. My kids have tons of toys with little parts and they always squash the original box.

Frugal Guy said...

Valerie, I don't have children, yet, but that sounds like a great use for these things. Thank you.

Bob T said...

I just made a small table for my porch out of coffee cans. Good for resting drinks/books on.

Frugal Guy said...

Bob, thanks for chiming in! I hope the table is strong enough to rest your feet?

squire said...

Free containers, never a bad deal. I ran out of room to save coffee cans.

Frugal Guy said...

Squire, it's beginning to sound like I'm missing out on the coffee can craze... maybe I should take up drinking coffee?

Anonymous said...

You can make furniture out of tires for your porch, out of old crates from warehouses and so much more. All you have to do is disassemble the wood and you can make anything out of wood pallets. It's fun to decorate the wood with paint and ect.. Annette

Anonymous said...

We keep them in our kayaks. They're perfect for keeping car keys, phone and ID dry - and they'll float, if need be.

Frugal Guy said...

Annette, Anon, thanks for the added comments. One of the things I enjoy most about my blog is getting all kinds of new ideas from reader comments!