Monday, August 6

Longer Distance Strategies

Now that I've moved and live in the boonies, which may be a slight exaggeration, it's time to exercise a bit more care in terms of resource planning.

I don't wan't to run out of anything and have to make an extra trip to the store. The local store is convenient, but of course it will cost a lot more. The regular store will have better prices, though it will incur approximately 40 minutes of driving, in total.

So, the plan is to stock up a little bit. Instead of having just the one box of litter on the go we'll keep one in reserve. When we open the reserve box it is time to put litter on the shopping list. This way we have plenty of opportunity to add shopping to an existing visit to town.

Hopefully the local store will have good prices on things like milk. It's not so easy to stockpile items that spoil quickly.

Of course, on the notion of stockpiling, we have a basement and a freezer. Although still a bit crowded and disorganized from the recent move there is plenty of space in the basement to store anything that goes on sale. Hopefully I'll soon be writing about our growing stockpile of sale priced consumables.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

8 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

ahhhh-I envy you the basement. We really don't have that space to stockpile.

On the matter of local stores, ours here is WAY more expensive (2 to 3 times frequently) but they do run very good meat sales about once a month. So it may be worth your while to pick up the flier when you drive by-you may find a really good deal.

Also on the issue of milk-you can freeze it. . . and if you find yourself having to run out locally for it, you may want to also check the prices at the gas stations and drug stores-sometimes those can run cheaper than the grocery store when you are in the sticks :)

Frugal Guy said...

Jenn, thanks for the insight. I'm a bit new to the sticks so any good advice is very appreciated!

Maine Mama said...

I do this and can now spend less than $300 to feed my family of five. It's a snowball effect. Good Luck!!!

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Maine Mama, thanks for the encouraging note. Being able to cut out several hundred dollars a month is a huge benefit over time.

Bellen said...

To 'stockpile' groceries because you live a ways out - it will benefit you to know how much you regularly use of various products.
For instance, for the 2 of us I know I need 4 meals of green beans, beets,spinach, 4 of spaghetti sauce, 6 of corn. I also know that I use 1 whole chicken a week (4 main meals and 1 soup). Anyway, you get the picture. When there are sales or a little extra money, I stock up. I try to keep 2-3 months of pantry items. We are 2 retirees,and eat 1 or 2 meals out a month and only with a coupon. I do this stockpiling because there are 3 grocery stores, a Dollar Store and a Walgreens within 2 miles of our home. It's real easy to spend more when shopping is so very close. Make a list, stick to it, keep a price book, know what you eat in a certain time period and you should be able to stockpile without asking 'what was I thinking'.

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Bellen, thanks for the detailed discussion of stockpiling and planning to stockpile. Sounds like good advice to me.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget wholesale clubs for great savings such as Sam's club and Cost-co!! Thanks for everyone's advice. You could always save a bundle by getting a deep freezer to put extra stuff in. It will save you money too!! Good luck!! Annette

Bridget Grace said...

I am starting a blog dedicated to stockpiling and saving money at the same time using coupons. come visit or come to the message board at www.aimoo.com/couponaddicts