Thursday, August 30

Forces Of Nature

KABOOMWow, what a thunderstorm. You can tell it was close because it woke me up. That doesn't happen very often. Anyway, I got up in the middle of the night thinking someone was knocking on the door - and I was going to go give them a piece of my mind too.

After waking up there was a very close strike. The noise was pretty much simultaneous with the flash and it shook the house. One of the computers went into emergency shutdown mode, beeping out it's shock on the way. We didn't know what had happened at the time and thought the fire alarm had started beeping. It was crazy.

This morning, after life had returned to normal, I discovered that the wireless router, which of course also sports wired connections, had bitten the dust. Apparently it had been fried. Both wired computers connected to it seem to have fried their network cards, but luckily the laptop is a free spirited wireless animal, and so, lacking a tether it survived intact.

For a while I was cursing all the commotion, the inconvenience, and the damned expense, but with a bit of time to relax I realize I'm happy that the computers didn't physically explode, nothing burned down, no people and no pets are any worse for wear. I can deal with that. Let's just hope it doesn't happen very often...

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gold plated surge protectors work great. They only cost about $19.99 at Best Buy or Walmart but,they are well worth it. I lost one computer without it. Have a great rest of the week. I hate storms too!! They drive me nuts ha ha Annette

Anonymous said...

Same exact thing happened to me. Pick up some used 10/100 PCI ethernet cards to put into the hard-wired PCs.

Maine Mama said...

I lost my last computer to a power surge too. I bought one of those strips for this one. I'm happy to hear that the strike didn't cause any major damage to your home!