Sunday, July 15

Rocks In My Head

FlagstonesI'm about to start a backyard project.

During the next few weeks, after I move in with my girlfriend, I'm planning to make a garden in the back yard, perhaps down the length of the fence. I'll need something to edge the garden - creating a border between the garden and the grass.

I think it's going to be rocks. Flat rocks.

I live near a large lake and should be able to scare up some flagstone style rocks here and there. I'm thinking maybe I can stop at one of the many small parks, wander around and relax, think up ideas for my blog, find a rock, and nab it.

Obviously the rocks will be free.

Luckily, I'm not in a hurry and don't mind if the project takes most of the summer to complete. So, I've been thinking about free rocks for weeks now...

I can't wait to get started!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful idea. If you want to save money creativity is the key. I got to see a listing for a house for sale and someone did the same thing. It was so beautiful, it increased it's value so much!! Go for it!!! You could be the next Picasso!! Smile and rocks are easy to find!!

frazzledmama said...

My dad made a beautiful rock in this fashion. He took an inexpensive class through the county extension office. A few things to remember. You need a wider base than top. You must backfill with drainage materials to prevent water damage. The rocks will take a few years to settle properly, so don't plan on using it for sitting or walking on for a while. Even if you don't plan on doing this remember, you are liable for injuries on your property. Also, you may be shocked at just how many rocks this will take. Check out the cost of a flat of stones from a hard scape store just in case finding flat rocks does not turn out to be so easy. Good luck!

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Anon, Frazzled,

Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to get started... though I have to go through the process of moving first.

Bleah!

KatieNDRocha said...

Tip for would-be rock theives!
Rocks may not seem valuable to many, but to parks and the wildlife within they are worth more than their weight in gold. Besides providing homes to the insects (which are food to the wildlife we like to see in parks), rocks also deter soil erosion.
Remember! Take only pictures and memories. Leave only footprints.

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Katie, thankz for the comment. While I can certainly appreciate the viewpoint there are also places where rocks are simply the landscape, as opposed to a vital feature.

I suppose you really can't expect everyone to act appropriately though.