Saturday, June 16

Wanted: New Handheld Can Opener

Can Opener StyleMy old can opener is biting the dust.

Often, while opening the can, it will skip and let go of the darn thing. This means that the can drops into my sink... or at least it has since I learned I can't rely on it to not fall off and splatter me!

I'm a bit fussy about my can openers. I don't like the really cheap ones that are hard to turn and bite into your fingers. They usually don't last long either. The one I am complaining about has lasted quite a few years and has a large comfortable handle -- so it's fairly easy to use. However, it's always been a bit hesitant, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm really wondering if my readers can help me out here. What type of hand operated can opener do you recommend? I'm not in a big rush so if you know of a particularly sturdy and reliable brand, perhaps available online, please point me to it.

Thanks!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

15 comments:

Pat said...

I bought a Swing-away over 20 years ago and finally replaced it last year, with another Swing-away. I don't remember what I paid for it the first time, but this time I gave around $12 for it. If it lasts as long as the last one, it will cost much less than a dollar a year. You can

Pat said...

..find them at Amazon.

(To finish my comment.) ;)

Frugal Guy said...

Pat, thanks for the note, this is exactly the type of advice I was hoping for!

Anonymous said...

I too have one of the Swing-away can openers. I have loved using my can opener since I got this kind. It is like the one my grandparents had years ago. I have had mine going on 9 years now and it still works as good as the day my husband hung it for me. I run a clean damp paper towel through the cutter blades now and again to clean it well. I paid $12.00 for mine at a "kitchen" store in a mall.

Milton said...

If you want to try something different, check out the ORBI at
http://www.laprimashops.com/index.asp?
PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=433

Barbara said...

I agree. I'm on my second Swing-away and that's only because my first got appropriated by a friend when I was staying with her. They last at least a decade, you clean up them up from time to time and there's nothing else you need to know about can openers!

Barbara

Frugal Guy said...

Well, it looks like the Swing-Away is the favorite can opener for the frugal!

I think mine is simply a knock-off no name, which explains why it is performing the way it is.

Thanks!

Amy said...

I have one of those OXO Good Grip can openers. It was a wedding gift and I love it because the handles are so ergonomically friendly.

http://tinyurl.com/yv57vv

It is just under ten dollars! :)

Tracy said...

I just got up to see what brand mine is, and lo and behold, it's a Swing-Away! It's been around here for ages, with never a problem.

Cheryl said...

I have an UNfrugal Pampered chef "smooth edge" can opener, which take the entire top of the can off, saving your fingertips from sharp edges. It wil set you back $17.50, but I love mine and it has been doing the job for 5 years now and still going!

squire said...

I actually posted about a can opener awhile back,
http://1948model.blogspot.com/2006/09/can-openers.html
Try this one and you will not be disipointed.

squire said...

Try September 14, 2006. Looks like my link did not work.
http://1948model.blogspot.com/

What Works For Us said...

OXO is the way to go. It's sturdy and we love it!

Cathy said...

I too love my OXO!

Frugal Guy said...

Wow, thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate all the advice!