Tuesday, May 1

Today's Shopping and Dinner Time

With no Earth shattering thoughts to share, I figured I'd just write about some minor financial events of the day.

For example, while shopping for soap today, I was on the lookout for parabens and large amounts of perfume. I'd read about it before, but today I was reading the blog over at Ideal Bite which reminded me about this issue. Basically, we can be exposed to a lot of environmental estrogens, and, as a guy, I don't really want to be. So, I ended up buying some Ivory soap and some Down Under Naturals shampoo.

I don't really know what all the ingredients in the shampoo are, but I didn't notice any phthalates or parabens. It also lists fragrance right down at the end of the ingredient list, so, compared to many products, it should be alright. I may be over reacting, but I really don't trust commercial companies to have my best interests at heart or to look very hard for additional risk vectors.

On the financial front, these products may not be the cheapest ones available, but then I don't use them up very quickly either. If I can figure out what brands I want to buy with respect to environmental issues I don't mind spending a couple extra dollars a month to do so. It's not like it is going to impact my goals.

I'm not sure how serious these isues are, but I don't like to play roulette with my health, and, again, I'd suggest thinking very carefully before trusting major corporations who are interested in their bottom line and don't really care about our health any more than required by regulatory agencies.

Now, before I forget, maybe I should talk about dinner! After all, I did name the post in honor of my upcoming meal. I'm cooking a couple sausages, pulled from the freezer last night, and will be frying up a large plate of rice to go with them. Maybe I'll fry some onions in butter, add the rice, wait until the rice is hot, then drop an egg or two into the mix, fry until the eggs are cooked... then serve the rice with a side of sausages. There, one meal, very cheap.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

7 comments:

mommamu said...

you know that is nothing but some egg rice FG! ;)

Frugal Guy said...

LOL, yep, it's a staple now that I've bought a rice cooker... :p

AZAmber said...

Speaking of rice...I cook for a family of four and one of my favorite easy, healthy, inexpensive meals is to put fillings in whole grain tortillas. For example, yesterday I made some brown rice and mixed in two cans of Caribbean style beans. I also added some minced fresh onion. Very tasty! Not only did I feed the family w/ the rice as a side dish, but I've been able to make about 8 soft tacos w/ the remaining rice mixture...I just sprinkle a little shredded cheese in there and micowave. Very satisfying and I believe that large volume of rice mixture maybe cost $3 total (not counting tortillas/cheese). A single guy could easily get 4-5 meals out of that. I also like to add fresh spinach in mine for the iron...it's good for the kids, too.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

On the shampoo front, once you find some brands that you like and that don't have those icky chemicals you are watching out for, it may really be worth your while to make a price book for just those items. Then you can compare the price per ounce to similar products at the health food store (which I'm SURE would have products missing all that stuff) and at places like Big Lots, the Dollar Store, or even a Beauty Supply Shop (which usually sells in HUGE containers-but you could refill your small container. . . )

Frugal Guy said...

AZA, thanks for the recipe ideas (here and in another comment). I'm always on the look out for cheap, healthy and tasty foods!

Frugal Guy said...

Jenn, sounds like some good advice to me... thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to mention that just because the products didn't have
parabens and phalates doesn't mean it isn't containing lots of other bad stuff. If you want a frugal wash, there is an organic soap, in which all the ingredients are recognizable and edible. It can also be diluted to stretch its life. You can get a 32oz bottle for around 14 dollars, I believe. But the higher price is worth it. It includes other uses like mouthwash and pet shampoo. It is called Dr. Bronner's, check it out. It is usually available at health food stores.