Tuesday, May 8

Rice Recipe Variations

Fried Rice, Yummy!As discussed in this recent post about Squeezing the Budget, I have been eating lots of ground beef and rice. Here are a couple variations I have recently tried and enjoyed...

Egg Rice with Pesto
Based on the idea that pesto is made from pine nuts, which contain pinolenic acid, which supposedly helps increase satiety from a meal, I long ago bought some pesto. Just a week or so ago I finally opened the jar and tried it. You see, I had bought some pine nuts and didn't like the flavor, so I was skeptical about the pesto too. Imagine my surprise, the pesto is great!

Anyway, the pesto is a basil flavored variety, there are various styles, and has pine nuts and various other nuts and oils in it. It's great. I've had it on pasta, of course, and it works just as well with rice. One simple recipe is to oil your pan (I prefer to use a bit of coconut oil), toss in a couple eggs, perhaps add a splash of milk and stir things around like you might be scrambling them. When the eggs are half done, throw in a teaspoon of pesto (alter to taste), spice if desired, stir, and then dump in some rice. Serve when the eggs are finished cooking. Delicious!

Beef, Rice and Salsa
I guess this recipe is a convenience recipe that won't hit your wallet too hard. Fry up a small chunk of ground beef. Spice the beef to taste. As soon as it is cooked enough to eat, add your rice. Spoon on some salsa, a couple of tablespoons perhaps, and mix everything together. Serve when the rice has been (re)heated. The salsa adds a bit of spice, a bit of tomato, onions and peppers. It's a great shortcut to slicing and frying vegetables and adds a lot of flavor.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

5 comments:

mommamu said...

yum! sounds delish to me-you know I love my rice! I'll have to try the pesto version...

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Now that you have realized the joys of Pesto, have you thought about growing a basil plant? Fresh basil rocks! And you can buy a small plant pretty cheap at most garden centers and Wally worlds etc, and even grow them in a large pot on a deck or inside near a big window. . . . .

Anonymous said...

With the beef, rice, and salsa... you have happened upon the unique Okinawan dish known as "tacorice". Enjoy!

Frugal Guy said...

Mommamu, Jenn, Anon, thanks for comments!

Debbie M said...

Pesto is also good spread on toast. This makes a delicious, quick snack.