Thursday, April 19

Frugal Progress Meters

One of the things that I really noticed while following along with the progression of my recent meme launch, was progress meters.

Making ProgressPeople have all kinds of goals and all kinds of meters to measure their progress towards them. Savings goals. Credit card debt reduction goals. Mortgage downpayment goals. Emergency fund goals. Net worth goals.

How cow! Look at all the terrific goals floating around out there.

I'm toying with this idea myself. I could put some goals online, make up some simple graphical progress meters to track progress, and generally give the world a lot of insight into my state of financial health, depending on what I chose to display.

However, I'm not sure. While having a visible goal might help me when making a decision that could impact it, the lack of visible and rewarding forward progress on a regular schedule would also demotivate me. The odds are good that I'll end up doing this, but only when I'm able to make serious forward progress...

P.S. It's never too late to jump aboard the meme, just make your post and follow the guidelines posted. Be sure to leave a comment so we can all follow the trail.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm a new reader to your blog, but I really enjoy it and am tagging you for the Thinking Blogger Award.

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Jenny,

Thanks! I'll have to go and see what is involved in being tagged with this...

A GROWN AZZED WOMAN said...

I love the Emergency Fund ChipIn, it looks great on the sidebar. I may add more goal meters to the bar. Enjoyed the read!

Frugal Guy said...

GA, I'll probably create another post on this topic... probably about progress meters of a different slant... but I need to balance the feel good effect with real progress.

Corrin said...

I've been trying to master some progress meters, but haven't had any luck.