Wednesday, February 28

Refined Food Mania

While reading about egg rice at Trying To Make A Dollar Outta Fifteen Cents, I had a few thoughts:

The Wonders of Egg Rice
I am going to write about one of the favored staples at my house that I whip up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner that is quick, simple, easy and nutritious. It is egg rice. The recipe started when I was little and my mother would often scramble an egg in butter and then add a little cooked rice and give it to us for breakfast. We loved it! I started making it again when I became a mother, for my son and I started expanding and adding other ingredients like onions, green peppers, mushrooms, frozen mixed vegetables...

My first thought was that I'm getting hungry! Fried rice is great, especially with a bit of butter and eggs and perhaps a few scraps of leftovers added. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

My second thought was about the difference between brown rice and white rice. Alternately, the difference between brown bread and white bread. At this point in my life I can't even imagine why anybody would buy white bread, white rice or other highly refined foods anymore.

Heck, when I was growing up I remember when my mother switched from white bread to brown bread. It was, shock and horror, different! The bread actually had some little bit of texture and flavor of it's own all of a sudden. I find it so hard to imagine liking white bread or white rice. Heck, brown rice is okay, but best of all is something like a mixture of long grain and wild rice.

Who is it that tricks us into eating overly refined reduced flavor foods when the good stuff is sitting right next to it on the shelves? Anyway, just some things that sprang to mind while I was reading. Time to go fry up some rice!

Oh, before I forget, for the first time reader, please note that rice is one of the more frugal foods available. Bought in large sacks it will keep for ages, when stored properly, and you can easily keep a family fed for only pennies a serving.

Update: I should note that I did actually cook up a large pot of rice and later made a nice fried rice dish using my trademarked spice selection process.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

3 comments:

Michelle Kendall said...

LOVE LOVE LOVER your blog....anything to do with learing to be frugal, you got me! I know you're Canadian...Americans spend spend spend and need to learn how to be more frugal.

Love the Egg Rice information. It's similar to Chinese fried rice. Chinese fried rice is leftover meat cut in itty bitty pieces and sauteed in a bit of oil and a small bit of soy sauce, eggs added in and scrambled, leftover chopped veggies, then leftover rice stir fried into all, a little soy sauce sprinkled over all and then the fried rice mixed well, then finally at the end, chopped green onion mixed in, and then the rice removed from the fire. We eat fried rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One big bowl with nothing else, or hot spicy vegetable as a garnish, such as Kimchee or chili pepper and brined chinese cabbage root, which costs about $1.00 at the chinese market.

Fried rice is a lot of carbs, but really, how many fat chinese do you ever see? Chinese people tend to be very skinny. And compare fried brown rice to the typical American supersized breakfast- sugary cereal and milk, McDonald's stuff (deep fried hash browns, fattening buiscuit sandwich with artificial cheese), pancakes with butter and syrup and pork sausage, etc.....the fried rice is nutritionally superior, lots of vitamins, etc...

Frugal Guy said...

Michelle,

Thanks for another great comment! You'll like my upcoming post, which should come out later today... ;)

Anonymous said...

hey, i'm chinese and i grew up on white rice. while the nutrition of brown, wild, black, and red rices is great and the nutrition of white rice is not so much, the subtle fragrance and flavor of white rice really satisfies a part of me that no other rice can. one of my favorite comfort food is simply a bowl of white rice topped with a runny-yolked fried egg and a sprinkle of soy sauce. to boost nutrition, a korean friend of mine makes a dry mix of white and black rice or white rice and barley to easily toss in the rice cooker for a meal. and i remember my mother doing a similar thing with wild and red rice when i was little. i find it a good compromise when i choose to eat white rice.