Friday, January 12

Finding Cheap Frozen Food Meals

Well, I don't know if you will be as excited about this as I am, but I've found a new source of healthy frugal foods. I'm psyched. Over the summer I had found some very low priced lean ground beef, but it seemed to be a seasonal overstock sale. Sadly for me, summer comes but once a year. Anyhow, there just so happens to be a little out of the way store that specializes in frozen goods.

I'd guess it is about a half hour drive or so each way... which means I'll have to buy enough per visit to make up for the trip itself. However, given the deep discounts found at the bottom of the deep freeze, I don't think that will be very hard to do. Here's why...

That's right Bob, behind door #1 we have Grill Fillets from Blue Water Seafoods. A small box has two fillets totalling approximately 1/2 pound of fish. At the supermarket next door a similar brand costs $3.59 per box. Can our lucky contestant guess the price of our fillets? No, it wasn't $2.99, I wouldn't be excited about that, would I? It wasn't even $1.99 though that would be a good deal. In fact, I paid a whopping $1.00 even. What a catch! I picked up five of these babies, one is cooking up as I write, and stuffed them into my freezer.

Okay Bob, behind door #2 we have lean ground beef. As the savvy returning reader knows, I like my ground beef! The price I'm paying is about the same as the blowout summer sale price I lucked across earlier this year. Ten 1 pound chunks of frozen lean ground beef totaled $17.99 instead of the $30.00 or so that I'd usually have to pay. Your prices may differ, depending on where you live, but I'm sure you can see that this is a substantial saving for me.

There were only two 10lb packs of ground beef in the store when I walked in, but some nasty person grabbed one of them before I got there. It was a tragedy, as I would have scooped up both of them. Anyway, I'll be able to thaw out a 1lb pack overnight, cut it in half, then cook it for dinner two nights in a row. If I have it with things like, beans, rice or pasta, then I'm going to have a very cost efficient and healthy meal.

This is great! While the fish was a one time price, the beef is a regular item at this new store. So, this means that I can continue to eat the foods I like at incredibly cost efficient prices. I'm able to save significantly on my monthly food costs when I'm able to find large quantities of meat on sale. They also have good prices on many other items, but my freezer is getting fairly crowded again.

Ding, dinner time. Garlic butter fish fillets are on the menu tonight...

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good deal.

Geoff said...

Frozen food is the best! If I don't get something frozen I'll almost certainly forget about it and then it goes bad. I've been into Bertolli Mediterranean Style Frozen Dinners lately. They aren't like most frozen food. I'm curious to see what you think of them. There are videos of Chef Rocco DiSpirito cooking with them here. I have the inside scoop because I work with them!