Thursday, November 30

The Free Lunch

People give a lot of advice about the mythical free lunch. In particular, it is often stated that there is no such thing as a free lunch. However, if you shift your mindset a little bit then you can certainly find ways to get your lunch without parting with your cash. While not technically free it certainly does change the cost equation.

What am I babbling about? I'll use a real life example to illustrate my point. A friend of mind is moving. I'm going to spend an entire day carrying furniture, boxes and whatever else has to go. In return for this help and support I'll likely have my meals provided for. Now, I realize my own time and effort isn't free, but there are times when my time and effort are something I can easily afford to give.

So, while you won't always have friends moving, there are many worthy things that you can donate your time to. Perhaps the cause itself is enough reward, and that's great, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth if there are other minor benefits available.

There are other ways to find a spare crumb as well. For example, in most office environments, there are plates of desserts and snacks brought into the office for everyones enjoyment. Who, at the end of the day, is the person cleaning off the plates for everyone? The person who ends up with a sample from each remaining dish if they so choose.

I guess I'm trying to say that if you can find ways to contribute to other people that you'll often be rewarded in kind. While it certainly isn't a free lunch, it may not cost you anything that you don't have a lot of to give. Most of us have plenty of time, energy and caring that we hold dearly when we really should be giving more away.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great thought...not one I have thought of. Thanks!