Friday, September 22

Chicken in a Crock Pot

Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about! A day or two ago, while looking for something to make my freezer a less lonely place, I saw some chicken on sale. They were hind quarters and they were only about $1.50/lb. No, they weren't skinned or boned, but that's not a big deal if you are a crock pot master like me.

Okay, that's a bit over the top, as I've used a stock pot a few times, but I've never ever cooked with an actual crock pot before. Just a sec, let me lick my fingers a bit before I continue...

Anyway, last night I dumped all the chicken into my crock pot, which could barely hold it all. Hmm, I thought, what should I put in there with it? Turns out I had some cans of soup that had been taking up space for ages. I dumped in a small can of chedder cheese soup and creamy tomato and basil soup (and a can of water with each can of soup). Hey, call it pizza chicken if you want! Anyway, of course after that I raided the spice cupboard and tossed on some sage, some cayenne, a tiny amount of ginger and probably some turmeric.

Put that bad baby on low, make sure it warms up a little to ensure that it is getting some juice, and go to sleep.

Ahahahaha. I love it. I really do. I love it when I can accomplish things while I am sleeping. Some strange power of productivity instinct kicks in and I get a huge charge out of it. It's similar to the odd time I notice an Adsense click happening while I am asleep. Woooo! Go baby, earn me some cash while I take a nap. If only such mad productivity were available more often, but it's still great while it lasts.

Anyhow, euphoric episode aside, I woke up this morning to a nice warm smell. I don't know how else to describe it. The crock pot was burbling happily so I turned it off and let it start the long slow cooling process. It's not really cold yet, but I just spooned off some of the fat that had risen to the top. Of course, I could not resist giving a surface morsel a taste.

Holy cow! Better yet, holy chicken! Talk about tender and juicy. I'm sold. I've got an absolutely full crock pot that will yield me a couple meals of chicken, once I pull it off of the bones, as well as a great soup or stew base. The price of the chicken was $5.50 and I'm sure the soup was less than $1.00 per can. The only thing I need to do is figure out how much meat is on these quarter chickens. When I pulled out a piece I only got a leg.

We'll see in a short while, once it has cooled off a bit more... but I think I'm sold. I'm now a crock pot crackpot. Hey, a word to the wise, if a single guy like me can figure this out... you can too.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

1 comments:

squire said...

We are also big "chicken in the crock pot" fans and I too marvel at Adsenses replys.