Wednesday, August 23

Healthy, Fast and Cheap Breakfast

I'd gotten away from this breakfast for a while, but I've recently rediscovered it. It takes almost zero time to prepare and is very good for you.

Simply pour some unflavored large flake rolled oats, of a slow cooking variety, in a bowl. Add a few spoonfuls of your favorite flavor of yogurt. Stir. Personally, I enjoy adding fat free stirred yogurts with small chunks of fruit. Something like blueberry, mixed berries or even peach will do the trick.

No, I don't actually cook the oatmeal, I prefer to simply stir in the yogurt and let it sit for a moment.

Anyway, this breakfast will take you thirty seconds to prepare and probably cost you about that per serving. Oats are a good source of fiber, low GI carbohydrates and various nutrients. Yogurt is a good source of calcium, some B-complex vitamins and various minerals. Fruits, such as blueberries, are a good source of health promoting antioxidants.

Oh, and I almost forgot, studies have shown that calcium and dairy products (perhpas due to high glutamine content) are helpful with weight loss. That means this breakfast, as part of a managed diet, can also be useful for weight loss with factors such as satiety inducing fiber, low GI carbs and dairy content.

Why would you punish your body with a coffee and a donut, which costs more, when you could have this instead?

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh...I mean guy...I guess I'm not much for thoroughly reading.

Anonymous said...

yeah...or paying attention.
wrong thread. lol
ok I'm done
carry on.

Frugal Guy said...

Hey, at least you are anonymous! :p

chris :) said...

lol yeah I guess that was a good idea huh?

Lawrence said...

I'm not a big fan of oatmeal but I agree, it can be a very inexpensive and quick meal in the morning.