Saturday, July 29

Caloric Restriction: Healthy Weight Loss with Pinolenic Acid

I was taking the time to read this morning and I ran across something that segues nicely into a topic I was discussing before. In particular, I was talking about calorie cycling as being both very healthy and a possible way to save money because food is one of our larger expenditures. I've run across something I thought was absolutely fascinating... a study concerning pinolenic acid, which is derived from pine nuts, and satiety.

Now, I've struggled with my weight most of my life. Yeah, I'm sure nobody else out there has had this issue, heh. Anyway, there is a type of fatty acid that helps control appetite. Apparently it stimulates the body, specifically our digestive tract, to produce satiety hormones. This means you can, or will, eat less and feel satisfied.

Anyway, here are some pertinent details about a recent study:


Calorie Restriction without Hunger!
In a study just published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the effects of caloric restriction were measured in a group of overweight adults over a six-month period. The findings were nothing short of astounding!

In response to reduced food intake, fasting insulin levels plummeted. As Life Extension members learned long ago, excess insulin functions as a death hormone that devastates virtually every cell and organ system in the body.

Insulin overload increases the risk of heart disease, cancer, blindness, stroke, Alzheimer’s, and other age-related diseases.

The most exciting finding of this study was the amount of weight lost in the groups that restricted their calorie intake. The moderate caloric-restriction group experienced a 24% reduction in body fat mass, while the very low-calorie group achieved a 32% reduction in fat mass.

...

The remarkable news is that pinolenic acid - a natural plant extract discovered in Europe - has been shown to suppress appetite dramatically without causing any stimulatory effect. This plant extract attacks the underlying mechanisms involved in hunger so effectively that study participants reduced their food intake by 36%

...

Satiety is the sense of food satisfaction and fullness experienced after eating. Hunger and satiety both depend on a complex feedback loop involving many hormones and other substances secreted by the gut that interact with control centers in the brain. The gut participates in the hunger-satiety circuit by secreting two important hormones, cholecystokinin (CCK) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), among others.

...

Recent findings demonstrate that pinolenic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid derived from pine nuts, stimulates the secretion of the hunger-suppressing hormones CCK and GLP-1. This exciting finding suggests that pinolenic acid may have powerful effects in reducing appetite and increasing food satisfaction and fullness.

...

The benefit of appetite control at mealtime is critical to anyone interested in cutting calories and losing weight, especially those who have struggled to overcome feelings of hunger and deprivation while dieting. Pinolenic acid, a natural fatty acid derived from the Korean pine nut, offers an effective tool to help enhance satiety and appetite control.

Promoting satiety and thus curbing the impulse to over-indulge at mealtime is just one of the beneficial effects of pinolenic acid. Recent research has demonstrated that when subjects are given GLP-1 before a meal, their blood sugar remains lower and their blood cholesterol levels are reduced compared to subjects given placebo. Since elevated blood sugar and high cholesterol after meals are associated with diabetes and cardiovascular disease, researchers speculate that therapies that boost GLP-1 levels (such as pinolenic acid) may be helpful in preventing cardiovascular disease.

I don't know if you've heard of the LEF (lef.org) but they are a group of scientists that look into extending our ability to live long healthy active lives. They provide peer reviewed research and very high quality supplements. You may want to look into their pinolenic acid supplemented called natural appetite control.

Anyway, this is why I think this is the one! Most methods of weight loss involve short term changes to our diet or use of stimulants. Of course, over time, we become used to stimulants and they become less effective or cause unhealthy side effects. As for short term changes to our diet, what happens when we go back to eating the way we used to? This is different. This is simply our own body looking at what we ate and telling us we have eaten enough... although we have eaten slightly less than we otherwise would have. If it is this simple to increase satiety then it should be a no-brainer. The health benefits are fantastic, the smaller meal sizes are huge in monetary savings, and as someone who has always been a bit pudgy, I can't wait to see how this works.

Good luck!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jim said...

Was wondering about your experience with pinolenic acid after a few months. Has it worked for you? Any side effects? What have been your results? Would you recommend others trying it?

Frugal Guy said...

Jim, I'm smacking myself in the head thinking "no kidding" when I read your comment.

I'm actually still doing the calorie cycling, and I did buy some pine nuts.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the pine nuts very much and I'm too cheap to buy the supplement. I am saving plenty and I do have the will to restrict my intake without the supplement.

I still think, assuming the research is applicable to the general populace, that it's a great way to save money for those who don't have the willpower to cut back on their own.

I wish I had more to report...

frugal guy said...

With the magic of passing time it just so happens that I do have some results to report.

My Diet Results

Keep in mind that I'm doing calorie cycling, instead of calorie restriction, though the overall result should be similar.