Friday, June 23

Don't Have A Cow, Man

Yes, I am a Simpson's fan. Well, more aptly, I was, when it was newer and somewhat groundbreaking. Anyway, that's all beside the point. A month ago I stocked up on a load of ground beef at a great price. Ever since then I've been eating a veritable ton of beef. In fact, as of today I was down to my last frozen lonely one pound chunk in my freezer.

Now, to make a short story long, I'm in the middle of getting prepared for a week long fishing vacation at a remote camp with some friends of mine. I've picked up some bug spray, happy to find that DEET was again included in the products. Look at this, DEET is pretty darned effective...

Repellents containing DEET provide the best protection
The report, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, says lotions that rely on plant oils or other chemicals don't last as long.

"I don't think DEET is the perfect repellent," said Mark Fradin, one of the researchers. "But it is still more effective and very safe."

Each worker was required to apply repellent and put their arm into a cage with 10 mosquitoes for a minute and repeated the action until the first bite.

According to the results, for DEET-based products:
  • solutions with 24 per cent DEET lasted five hours
  • ones with 20 per cent DEET worked four hours
  • repellents with six to seven per cent DEET lasted two hours
For non-DEET products:
  • eucalyptus ointments lasted two hours
  • soybean-based repellent worked 1 1/2 hours
  • plant-derived solutions, such as citronella, lasted less than 20 minutes
  • Avon's "Skin-So-Soft" bath oil and bug guard each lasted less than 10 minutes
  • repellent wristbands provided no protection
The results surprised officials at Avon.

Okay, I'll relent and continue with my story. I just didn't want to bore you since I wrote something similar a month ago. As it turns out, while I am out shopping, I see another amazing deal for ground beef. A two pound chunk of lean ground beef is only $3.00 -- where usually one pound of lean beef sells for $4.50 or so. It's on for a third of the price!

I picked up 8 packages. Yeah baby. Last time I ran into this deal I cut them all in half, yielding one pound chunks of beek. Since I am eating for one, I think I can probably get away with cutting them into thirds. Wise portion size options was a previous blog topic of mine so I'm trying to practice what I preach. I'm going to get 24 meals worth of ground beef at only $1.00 per meal. After adding in the pasta, sauce, spices and parmesan cheese, because it thriftier than shredding block cheese, I'm going to float through a second month well below budget on food expenses.

Woohoo!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I like your blog. You have great ideas for saving money and living healthier. It's fun reading your blog!

CT in California

Frugal Guy said...

Hi CT,

Thank you very much for the kind comments.

Frugal Guy

Jenn said...

Good deal on the beef :)

Anonymous said...

Frugal Guy,

Please tell me you do not eat chopped meat all month!

Great Deals,

eM

Frugal Guy said...

LOL. Not every day... why I just spotted some ground turkey on sale a couple of days ago.

evilhippy907 said...

Moving back up to a remote little town in Alaska. I did a search looking for some ideas and found your blog. Really enjoyed it. How's this for frugal? Where I'm from everyone goes moose hunting and butchers their own meat. Around Oct when its below zero you can unplug your outdoor chest freezer and let nature do the work for ya. Freezer full of meat for the price of the license and the bullets.

Frugal Guy said...

Evilhippy, good point! Hunting for food is a time honored tradition if you live in a location that makes it appropriate.