Monday, June 12

Buying Apples: A Small Tip

I like apples. Well, let me qualify that, I like apples when they are flavorful and in-season. I don't like apples when they are shiny and red but don't have much flavor. I don't know how they do it, but they often have apples in the supermarket that are completely devoid of flavor. Maybe it has something to do with picking them early and letting them ripen during shipping?

Anyway, as I said, just a small tip. What I like to do when buying apples is lift the bag to my nose and give a sniff. Usually apples are packed in bags with little holes for ventilation. Get close to one of those and inhale casually. You'll get a real good indication of the flavor that the apples contain, which is much more reliable than the look of the apples.

I know this might not sound like a frugal tip, but considering how wasteful it is to end up with apples you don't want to eat, perhaps it is. Unlike many other people I'm not going to cook with my apples, so I'm really only left to watch them go bad as I keep trying to force myself to eat them. It's a much better plan to give them the sniff test and then get value for my money instead.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

The best ones come from an apple orchard, but I don't always have the chance to go there. I like this idea of yours!

Frugal Guy said...

Psst, have you given it a try yet?

Anonymous said...

Just read about your sniff test. If an apple has a real strong, sweet smell, they are too ripe. I just look at the flower end of the apple. Make sure it has a bit of green in it. If it's dark, the apple will be mushy and terrible. Most apples bought at the grocery were held in cold storage and taste terrible. Ever since I've done the "green" test, I've been really lucky with getting good ones. Thanks for your blog!