Thursday, May 18

Ground Beef: Shock and Awe

Today was a banner day in my ongoing campaign for frugality. While in the store picking up some much needed milk I did a reconnaisance mission in the butcher section. Oh my goodness, what did I spy, but lean ground beef on for approximately 1/4 of the regular price.

I spotted the same brand on sale a week or two ago and picked up a small amount just to make sure I liked the quality. You see, this brand is packaged up like sausage in a plastic wrapper, so you can't see the pedigree of the meat without opening the package. Anyway, upon cooking there was no free grease left in the pan, so it was just fine.

I quickly pounced on the ground beef, elbowing away little old ladies and timid men who aren't used to eating meat anyway, and filled my entire Red Riding Hood looking basket with ground beef. While a couple people didn't seem to understand the urgency, I loaded up on this stuff before somebody changed their mind. Heck, even the expiry date is still a whole week in the future. A week I tell you.

I've got a virtual ton of ground beef, chopped in half into one pound units, happily relaxing in my freezer. Holy Cow! I was so excited by this ordeal I forgot to pick up any milk. I guess I'll drop by tomorrow and see if they have any beef left on sale, there are a few openings in the corners of the freezer still; I'll be driving past the store anyway so it's not like I'm wasting gas either.

Mission accomplished. Want to come over for a BBQ? I've got plenty of fixings for the hamburgers...

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

13 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Don't forget you can make tacos and enchiladas, too! And meatballs! Mmmmmm...

Frugal Guy said...

LOL, yeah... and meatloaf, shepherds pie... oh the list is nearly endless! ;)

Jenn said...

Isn't it great when something like that happens? And aren't you glad you have us online to talk to about it-usually my IRL friends look at me funny when I get excited about things like this.

frugal guy said...

Jenn, definately. As a straight guy I'm not actually encouraged to celebrate frugality openly!

Sundy said...

Good deal! Hey, what do you think of ground turkey? In my part of the country, the 85/15 ground turkey is fully a dollar cheaper than the 85/15 ground beef. My kids and husband were eating it for six months without knowing it was ground turkey they were eating...I am liberal with spices! :)

Frugal Guy said...

Sundy, I'm a big fan of ground turkey as well, but unfortunately it is more expensive in my area. However, I'll still pick some up from time to time for the sake of variety.

chameleon21 said...

Ha! I wanna be like you... I'm more like the ones staring at you wondering what the deal is. It's an art form.

amyrrt said...

I can get ground turkey at Aldi's in Indiana for 89 cents a pound. That is all we eat unless I can get ground chicken or beef at a good price as well. I am new to the frugal living thing, reality has forced it upon me. I have way overspent what I make and now I have no choice, so I am looking for ways to help get me on track. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Csseroles are good for frugile living. They can be several meals. You can freeze it in smaller containers for later

Lawrence said...

I'm a huge fan of ground beef. I usually just brown it up with a little seasoning and roll it up in a tortilla with some lettuce and tomato.

Sophie said...

I wish we had that sort of discounts here in Quebec. Canada has less coupons and good discounts than the US, but Quebec is the worst. Also, I wonder why ground turkey is so cheap in the States while here it's always like $4.50 a pound. Maybe they raise more turkeys there.

Frugal Guy said...

Oh oh, I've fallen behind in my comment responses!

Chameleon, Amyrrt, Anon, Lawrence, Sophie, thanks for leaving a note and sorry for the tardy reply.

Ginny said...

Another good, frugal and easy thing to make with ground beef is quesadillas. Mix the sauteed meat and seasonings with some shredded cheese. Pack it between two whole grain or corn enchiladas. Brown on each side until melty. Yum!