Monday, April 10

Delay Where Appropriate

This is another in a short series of frugal living tips that deal with how you do things, instead of specific things you should do. How often do you get your hair cut? How often do you go out for dinner, as a treat? How often do you change the oil in your car?

There are many things we do which are simply based on the passage of some period of time. Other things we do are based on a specific point in time, such as a change of seasons, when it may be necessary to put winter tires on your car. Anyway, events that are based only on the passage of time can be postponed a small amount. So, what I'm saying is, you still have to put those winter tires on your car before winter starts.

Getting back on topic, if you get your haircut once a month, getting it cut every five weeks will save you the cost of one haircut after five months. Similarly, if you are comfortable with the idea, instead of changing the oil in your car at 3000 miles, change it at 3300 miles, unless you've been engaged in towing or other performance activities.

Going out for dinner once a week as a treat is a bit harder to postpone, but if you were to go out once every eight days, you'd shave a significant portion of your spending over the course of a year -- and you might not even feel that you were forcing yourself to cut back. In fact, because you would be encouraged to do things on different days every week, you may actually find new interesting things to do and enjoy this treat even more.

I really hope these ideas save someone out there a few dollars without feeling the pinch. So, while the old adage, "don't do tomorrow what you can do today," has it's place, don't let that stop you from procrastinating wisely!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I think as well as delaying in the way you talk about, there is also the practice of delaying in buying things.

Unless an item is on sale, I'll usually say to myself "do I really need this right now?". Sometimes if you wait you will either find the item less expensively somewhere else, or realize you don't really need the item.

ChangeMe said...

Yes, that's very true. I've noticed both that after buying something I don't really use it as I thought I would, or if I didn't buy something, I stopped thinking I needed it after a short while.

Good point!

Anonymous said...

I have learned how to cut my own hair granted it was a learning process that was hard to deal with at first but as I got better at it I find that I can get exactly the look I like. Raqther than going shaggy I cut my hair when I cant get it done by a barber.Usually I'll cut it on monday many shops are closed on that day.

Anonymous said...

I have paid off a car to save and to eliminate a payment.Save $600 a year on full coverage insurance now I only have to pay $500. for liability the minimum the law will allow.Since paying off I find that I do not use the car for want just need opting to ride with others/my wife usually since I know if something happens I have full responsibility for repairs on the paid off car.I pay for both cars im not a mooch our method allows us to save while still maintaining the needs.I do my best to never allow a car to exceed an oil change and have never had an internal engine issue as a result.

Audrey said...

Hi
Whoever you are ,I just came across your "blog" and think it's just great . Very useful too .
You are a very interesting person .

Frugal Guy said...

Thanks for the comments everyone... and Audrey, thank you very much for the compliments!