Wednesday, April 26

Brand Name vs No Name

I suppose this is one of those things that goes without saying, at least for the hardcore frugal saver, but then I have to remember that not everyone that reads my site is already living the frugal life.

Today's contemplation is brought to you by the letter C. C is for cold. While visiting at a friends, who of course has little children in the household, I seem to have been exposed to the latest cold and flu pathogens. While rummaging in my medicine cabinet last night I noticed I was using some "Exact" brand products.

These products are found right beside the brand name products they copy, and they are available for a greatly reduced price. Simply read the label and make sure you are getting what you need -- and this may require that you actually know quite specifically what you are in fact buying.

However, keep in mind, there can be product differences which are significant to you. For example, off brands may not be enterically coated, meaning they may not be as easy to swallow as the brand you are used to. Also, if your brand name medicine is buffered or time released, make sure you are getting that in the off brand product, if it is significant to you.

In any case, whenever you are buying what is in fact simply a commodity product, then there is no reason to opt for the expensive brand name products when a competing off brand product is available. Most large chains will offer their own house brands to you in this way. The savings are significant, so be a savvy consumer and don't blindly fall into branded consumerism no matter how many times they bore you with their shoddy commercials.

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

4 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I always try a store brand, esp. of medications, to see for myself if they are 'just as good.' Most store brands are, I have found. But I'm a born skeptic and I always have to give something a try before I'll accept that is is equal in quality.

Anonymous said...

I go one farther I buy the generic but I wash my hands every time I go to the restroom, when I go to eat, I try not to shake hands, and take my vitamins. Also when at the store I always reach to the rear of the shelves in hopes to get a fresher less handles product, sometimes an associate will place a reshopped item right on top I always dig deep especially with cold items to insure any past power failures didn't cause temp variations. Checking dates is improtant and so is weighing pre measured bags of vetables often these are off over time you could take home considerably more if you just weigh your prey I get 1/2 lb.over weight usually by using this simple technique over a years time that is a lot of potatoes onions fruit etc. cdltpx hotmail or yahoo that is my email check em both.

Anonymous said...

OTC Meds, ointments, plastic products and cleaners, spices, shampoo & conditioners, gift wrap & seasonal stuff. My local dollar store is worth the trip once a month for the HUGE savings I get on these products. I figure a savings of $2-$3 or more on each item I can get at the dollar store rather than the super market.

Money Magnet Mummy said...

I am a member of an Australian pharmacy discount club, so I can also get a discount that way. It costs to join, but the savings are worth it. I always ask for the generic brand on medications, but if they are not available, then I know I am still eligible for a discount from the pharmacy.