Sunday, January 22

Doing the Laundry

If you don't have your own washer and dryer, and many that are forced to live a frugal existence don't, then you will find yourself throwing money away every time you wash a load of clothing. While that does suck, and I'm not about to tell you to avoid washing your clothes to save money, there are some things you can do to avoid throwing extra money down the drain.

For example, the convenient machine, which I can use any time I want, as long as I have two and a half hours to steward a load through the process, costs $1.75 per load, plus $1.75 per drying cycle. Unfortunately, the dryer is crappy, so it takes two cycles to do the job. Damn, that's $5.25 a load before considering the cost of detergent and drying sheets.

On the other hand, the local laundromat charges $1.25 per washer and the dryers run about 7 minutes per quarter. So, for about $2.00 per load total, before consumables, I can save over 50% of my laundry costs. However, watch out for those consumables! At $1.00 a piece for soap and $0.25 per dryer sheet, they can start to add up fairly quickly.

So, for me, it makes clear sense to haul my dirty shorts to the laundromat, especially if I bring my own supplies.

Tags:

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

1 comments:

Disney loving Frugal Mom said...

You could take your clothes to the laundromat and bring them home to air dry. Save even more. I use drying racks since I am in an apartment and have no where to put a clothesline.