Friday, January 20

Cheap Domain Names and Internet Hosting

Okay, I guess I can't just write about food. Up until recently I was pretty happy with a Internet services company called Pair Networks, but lately I've been using GoDaddy.com for my Internet services instead. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked because that gives me an excuse to tell you about it.

First, for only 8.95 per year I can grab a domain name. Well, yes, it can be pretty hard to find a good domain name nowadays. Anyway, I'll grab one from time to time when I think of something cool. You can make your registration private, so that you ownership details don't allow people to grab your personal information from the whois databases.

Second, and even better, for only 3.95 per month I can host a website on that domain. This is next to nothing! You get some email boxes, some MySQL databases and PHP. Of course, if you wish, you can use plain HTML and simply upload simple files. Anyway, you can also get a free web site with your domain name, but they will run advertising on it if you do that.

The only thing I don't like about GoDaddy is how much additional crap they try to sell you when you sign up for something. You have to go through multiple pages of options, indicating that you don't want to buy all these impressive sounding services and options. Unless of course you want those options, but for purposes of frugality there is no way I'm paying big bucks for those services.

Finally, I do believe there are some places that will give you the ability to buy a domain name at a cheaper price. However, I don't think they are as geared towards helping a regular user manage their own domain names and web sites. To go much cheaper you are probably looking at a minimal services situation used by people buying and selling domain names. That's my guess anyway. Give GoDaddy a try. The link above is a referral link, but you can just type it in by hand if that troubles you.

Tags: ,

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

0 comments: