Thursday, January 26

12 Quart Stock Pot

With thoughts of frugality foremost in my mind, because I'd never let laziness enter the picture, I bought a huge stock pot today. Did I mention this thing is huge? I figure I can cook up large batches of chili or stew and simply freeze whatever portion I won't eat within several days. This will work well since I stocked up on those individual portion size plastic containers recently.

Anyway, tonight I was making my new favorite chili like concoction. Ingredients are approxmimately one pound of ground beef, some tex mex seasoning, a bit of cayenne pepper, some garlic salt and a bit of pepper. You could add some ketchup or other seasonings to taste. Once the meat is cooked I threw in two cans of garlic and basil diced tomatoes, two cans of kidney beans and two cans of romano beans. Finally, once this mixture had warmed up in went one and a half cups of plain rice.

While this is a fairly good cheap meal in and of itself I'm really paving the way for things to come. For example, instead of buying canned beans I can now buy, soak and cook large quantities of dry beans at a fraction of the price. By changing the order of my cooking, I can simply drain the beans if needed, toss in a quantity of cooked meat, some tomatoes and as much rice as I want.

The only thing that troubles me is that even though I was careful not to use a very high heat, I managed to scald some of the ingredients. Luckily I was stirring and so forth often enough that I could tell it was happening. I think I need to purchase a little tool that keeps pots and pans from sitting directly on the burner, which I remember my grandmother having. Something is required, since I don't have any lower settings to use. Hmm.

Anyway, my first batch of chili is done. I can't wait until it has sat in the fridge overnight, becuause then I can butter some toast and spread spoonfuls of "leftover" chili on top of it. I haven't done this in ages, but I remember doing that when I was growing up. I guess it was before microwaves were common, so it was faster than heating up the chili and I didn't have to use and wash a bowl. Hey, that's a tip for bachelors, why use a plate when there is toast!

Frugal Guy said...
First time visitor? Start on my blog overview page...

Have your own blog? Please add it to my blog directory!

If you've found help, hope or laughter here, please consider linking to my blog or perhaps a particular post...

Thanks!

6 comments:

maria said...

Hello frugal guy,

Good for you for cooking more
and freezing the leftovers! It
saves lots of time and money.

I gave my son a huge pot for
Xmas and he also is making chili and spaghetti sauce and freezing the leftovers.

His grocery and "take out"bills
have decreased significantly.

Marie

ChangeMe said...

Marie,

Thanks for the note! It's amazing the little steps we can take that end up making a big difference.

Anonymous said...

We knew a single mother that was a nurse she would cook many meals at once and do just that freeze in portions just right for her family she had four kids.If you don't know it a nurse will work 12 plus hours a day and have to use their time wisely they are in high demand.Glar to read your advice we are on our way to home depot to get a small freezer to fascilitate the excess we eat out too much and it isn't healthy we are over weight and this will assist us in living healthy thank you.cdltpx@ayhoo.com

Frugal Guy said...

Hi Maria, Changme, Anon, thanks for the notes. I know the things I post about aren't always new or Earth shattering, but if some of these ideas are new for me, I'm sure they are for other people too.

Jan said...

Stock pots are great but scorching is an issue because they aren't actually designed to saute or brown your ingredients in-they have thinner bottoms so a large amount of liquid (stock) heats quickly. I don't want to get another pot dirty when I make chili either, but beware the thin bottom-a flame tamer will probably solve the problem.

Frugal Guy said...

Jan,

Sage advice. Since this post I've found the shaped wire do-dad I was referring to.

It sits on the burner and lifts the stock pot a tiny amount.